What is Toastmasters Club?
Toastmasters is a worldwide non-profit educational organization founded in 1924 with nearly 250,000 members in more than 12,000 clubs in 106 countries.
By offering a proven - and enjoyable - way to practice and hone communication and leadership skills, we aim at training our members' English public speaking skills in an encouraging and relaxing environment.
For more information: visit Toastmasters International
What are the Benefits?
Being a Toastmaster, you can…
- Speak confidently on stage
- Expand your network by meeting guests
- Gain exposure by joining contests
- Learn various skills to become a leader
How Does Toastmasters Work?
We hold bi-weekly regular meeting where members can take up different roles to train their public speaking and leadership skills.
There are three sessions in the meeting:
- Prepared speeches
- Help you convey your message clearly with effective organization
- Build your stage presence
- Help you deliver effective business and technical presentations
- Table-topics (impromptu speaking)
- Help you think on your feet
- Build your confidence
- Prepare you for interviews
- Evaluation speeches
- Develop your observations and critical thinking skills
- evelop your ability to give concise and useful feedback
- Help you develop appraisal skills required in the workplace
We host contests in which winner will continue to compete against other Toastmasters Clubs in Hong Kong.
And winner of the Hong Kong Division shall compete internationally.
We invite professional speakers of various fields to give workshops on different topics such as:
- Overcome stage fear
- Presentation skill
- Body gesture
- And a lot more to offer!
Here's a video by Lance Miller, the World Champion of Public Speaking 2005, explianing why Toastmasters works: http://www.lancemillerspeaks.com/toastmasters--video1.php
How can you improve your spoken English?
In Toastmasters meetings, we have Grammarian:
- Identifies good use of English among the speakers
- Offers practical suggestions for further improvement
After Joining Toastmasters
After joining our club, you will receive a manual mailed to you from the Toastmasters headquarter. The manual will guide you to go through TEN projects, each with different objectives that aims to help you improve one particular area of your presentation skills. Upon completion of the ten projects, you will be awarded the title “Competent Communicator (CC)”. There are two development paths in Toastmasters. You can choose to polish your communication skills and / or you leadership skills according to the following pathways and ultimately receive the highest honor – Distinguished Toastmaster (DTM).
How to Join Our Club?
To join our club, please contact email@example.com